Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ginger Snap Cookies

I have talked about my Brass Sisters before. I love these ladies like they were my own aunts. They have the most excellent recipes, including the one that I made last night.

Jeff has been out of town on a business trip for a month. Well, he came home on the weekends, but it's been a long, lonely month. He was coming home around 11pm last night, and I thought it'd be nice to have homemade treats for him. Since I am making my pumpkin cheesecake with gingersnap crust on Thanksgiving, I thought that I should get a jump on the crust by making gingersnap cookies. They came out great, the house smelled great and Jeff was thrilled! Hope you enjoy them!

2 cups flour
2 t ginger
1 t nutmeg
1 t cinnamon
2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3/4 c butter
1 c sugar
1 egg
1/4 c molasses
1/4 c ginger jam or orange marmalade (I didn't have this, so I used my homemade and canned apple butter)*
sugar for rolling cookies

Combine flour, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Cream butter and sugar in your Kitchenaid mixer. Add egg. Beat in molasses and jam. Add dry ingredients until well blended.

Chill the dough for about an hour or until firm enough to be handled. With gloved or floured hands, make little balls** out of the dough. Roll each ball in sugar and put on baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 14 minutes.

*I tried to half the recipe but accidentally added the full 1/4 c of molasses and apple butter, thus necessitating retromixing. It turned out fine, even though stuff was mixed out of order. What can I say? I had taken a nap and my contact lenses were foggy.

** I said "balls"

1 comment:

Heide Mc.™ said...

I'll have to try these.