Monday, December 21, 2009

Swedish Pancakes

I am always on the lookout for waffle and pancake recipes that don't seem too heavy on eggs, milk, butter. The waffles at the FridayMornings at SELMA are a perfect example and I was buying up the mixed batter when it was for sale. You just added an egg, vanilla and maybe a little bit of milk (I forget exactly), but it made for some yummy waffles.

This morning, I decided to make a nice breakfast for Jeff & me. At first, I pulled out the waffle maker, but then I decided that I didn't feel like waffles. So I pulled out my Joy of Cooking cookbook but everything I saw just seemed too rich. So, I next pulled out the red & white checkered Better Homes & Garden New Cookbook and opened to the pancake section. Something called "Swedish Pancakes" caught my eye and I figured, what the heck? Our Swedish friends have given us some cool things like practical dialysis machines, the three point safety belt, Swedish fish, and the absorption refrigerator (except for the fish, all of this information can be found on wikipedia, so it must be true. Not sure about the fish but it sounds good.) Turns out, the mofos can make a nifty little pancake too.

The recipe is very easy. Take 3 eggs and beat them until "thick and lemon colored" (I just beat them for a few minutes and called it good). Add 1 1/4 cups milk, 3/4 c flour, 1 T sugar and 1/2 t salt. Mix together. The batter will be VERY runny but don't panic! It will all turn out fine, I promise.

Heat up your frying pan and put in oil or a spray of that organic oil crap that I found at the food co-op. Let it heat up over medium heat and pour your batter on. Since it is runny, pour it in quick little "spurts" (you'll see what I mean). Keep a careful eye on things as they cook quickly.

You will end up with lovely thin little pancakes, halfway between a crepe and a pancake. The entire batter is 853 calories (not including oil or the calorie free spray shit that I used) and you get so many per batch that you needn't fret too much about calories. I served mine with my local maple syrup and Locavorious blueberries.

The cookbook says to "pass the Lingonberry sauce", whatever the fuck that is. The blueberry syrup worked just fine and made for a lovely brunch. So, thanks my Swedish friends! Even if you didn't give us the wonderful Swedish fish**, you are still alright in my book.

**oh well damn! I guess Swedish fish do come from Sweden. Okay, nevermind.

3 comments:

wendy@thelocalcook.com said...

wow, that sounds good! Also, I think we have the same cookbooks LOL

Vivienne (Buttercup) said...

Patti, lingonberries are Scandinavian berries much like cranberries so I'd substitute cranberries if I wanted to get closer to their idea.

Miss E said...

My hometown is heavily Swedish, and Stockholm Inn, the Swedish pancake house, was the go-to place for weekend breakfast. I've been craving these for a while, so I'm delighted to see this recipe!

I've seen lingonberries around town, but I know you can get jars of 'em for around $4 at IKEA. I tend to stock up, and we have been subbing it for cranberry sauce at the holidays. Soooo good.